Student Mobility inside the European Union, as a non-EU Student

It is a common scenario that a university student studying in an EU country wants to join a mobility programme, in order to travel and experience other countries,  Is it possible to do so while you’re in another EU country as a non-EU student?
The first thing to know is that according to the EU Directive/801/2016, if you are a student in an EU country, you have the possibility and right to do an intramobility programme in different EU countries, as long as you are a higher education student, such as at university, and participating in a EU programme or multilateral agreement that allows the possibility of moving to another country for a period of time.
This means that, along with other requirements, as long as there is an agreement between two or more educational institutions, it is possible for the student to study in Spain.
According to the Directive, the maximum period of time one is allowed to stay in Spain is no longer than 360 days, with the possibility of extension in case it does not cover the complete course of study. Once you decide to come to Spain, the educational institution, such as a university, will need to send a communication before entry into the country, or within a maximum of one month after arrival.
This will need to be presented to the Spanish Consulate in the EU country corresponding to the previous residence of the student, and directed to the Foreign office. One beneficial aspect of student mobility is that it allows the student to also work in Spain while studying, as long as it’s compatible with the studies, and supported with a presentation of authorisation from the employer.
At the Immigration Department of Giambrone & Partners in Barcelona, we support students to expand their knowledge by travelling to other countries in order to study at professional institutions. Our legal expertise can support students in this specific situation.