UK Immigration Lawyers

Giambrone & Partners' immigration team advises and assists a range of individuals who require assistance with immigration matters in Italy, Spain, Portugal, and those who wish to adopt British citizenship in a wide range of applications leading to dual nationality. 

Immigration law is complex and changes continuously and now, more than ever, impacts significantly on the lives of European Union citizens living in the UK. Our lawyers’ well-deserved reputation and breadth of specialist knowledge combine to make Giambrone & Partners is one of the leading immigration service providers. Giambrone & Partners immigration teams also assist with Italian immigration and Spanish Immigration

Personal Immigration

The UK is often the country of choice for many young Europeans hoping to expand their experience and forge a career, countless Italian and Spanish citizens have made Britain their home. Since Brexit and the loss of freedom of movement and residence in Britain for EU citizens, the possibility of dual citizenship has become a serious option. 

Giambrone & Partners can help guide you as to the best route for you and your particular circumstances, ensuring that your application is sound and will not fail due to an avoidable error or breach. If you have had an application rejected due to incorrect documentation, we may be able to assist with a re-application.

Why choose Giambrone & Partners?

The lawyers in our immigration teams have years of experience in advising and assisting EU citizens with all aspects of the steps to dual British citizenship. Our lawyers offer pragmatic solution-based advice based on your individual circumstances, including assisting with navigating complex applications.

Giambrone & Partners' lawyers are multi-lingual and can discuss your situation in your own language to ensure complete clarity and avoid misunderstandings. Our lawyers take a realistic approach and have a track record of satisfactorily resolving complicated issues for our clients. 

UK Permanent Residence Document

If you have a valid UK Permanent Residence Document in the form of a certificate inside your blue ‘residence documentation’ booklet (or pink if you’re a Swiss national) or a certificate inside your passport, your application to the EU Settlement Scheme will not require proof of five years continuous residence in the UK. 

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)

There are a number of conditions attached to ILR. Giambrone & Partners' immigration team will be able to establish whether any of the qualifying criteria apply to you, The following are examples:

  • Long residence – legal residence for ten year
  • Exceptional compassionate circumstances – a detailed explanation will be required
  • Retired person visa – the capacity to demonstrate financial independence will be required
  • Returning to permanently reside in the UK
  • Discretionary leave
  • UK ancestry visa

If you have ILR you can remain living in the UK. The advantage of applying to the EU Settlement Scheme is you can spend up to five years living outside the UK as opposed to two years under ILR. The deadline to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for most people was 30 June 2021.

British Citizenship

You are eligible to apply for British citizenship following five years of continuous legal residence in the UK and also have, in the past 12 months, had one of the following:

  • Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
  • Settled Status
  • Indefinite Leave to enter the UK

From 1 January 2021 if you had permanent residence prior to obtaining Settled Status the time under permanent residence can count towards the 12-month requirement following five years of permanent residence.

There are a number of criteria for application for British Citizenship, as follows:

  • You must be over 18 years old
  • You must be able to provide evidence that you were continuously resident in the UK for a minimum of five years before the Home Office receives your application
  • You must be able to prove your capacity with the English language by either an English qualification at B1, B2, C1, or C2 level or having a degree that was taught or researched in English. 
  • You must pass the Life in the UK test. In order to do so, you should study the Handbook of Life in the UK and you will be tested over 45 minutes to answer 24 questions about British traditions and customs.
  • You must intend to continue living in the UK
  • You must be of good character with no criminal record

Other routes to British citizenship are:

  • You have at least one British parent
  • You have one of the five alternative types of British nationality
  • You previously had British Citizenship which you renounced 
  • You are married or in a civil partnership with a British citizen

Giambrone & Partners' immigration teams can discuss your individual situation with you and advise you on the best route to British citizenship. If your application is not straightforward our lawyers will be able to assess your circumstances and provide a realistic assessment of your situation and likelihood of success.

For more information please click here or complete our contact form here.