Education: Master in Law (LLM) in International Dispute Resolution, The University of Law (London) - Degree in Law, University of Palermo (Italy)
Admissions: Italy (Avvocato) - Spain (Abogado)
Year Joined: 2004
Languages: Italian - English - Spanish - French
Gabriele Giambrone is the Global Managing Partner and is head of the firm’s European Litigation and Arbitration team
Gabriele is a multi-jurisdictional dispute resolution lawyer specialising in international arbitrations, mediations, investigations, regulatory, white-collar fraud, antitrust, anti-corruption, bribery and the strategic management of complex litigation. Gabriele has strong academic credentials, qualified as an Avvocato in Italy and as Abogado in Spain.
On graduating from the University of Palermo, Italy, with a first-class cum laude degree, he read law and economics at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland. Following which Gabriele worked in the Milan branch of Allen & Overy before being offered a position in the corporate department of the Royal Bank of Scotland in London.
In 2005, he founded Giambrone & Law, which has recently won the prestigious awards of "Best Italian Law Firm (Sicily and Sardinia)” at the 2018 Top Legal Awards in Rome. The firm has over 80 lawyers between our offices in London, Milan, Rome, Palermo, Sardinia, Glasgow, Barcelona, Gran Canaria, Porto, Munich and Tunis.
Gabriele has a comprehensive understanding of both the technical legal requirements for matters involving multiple jurisdictions and the practical concerns and investigative methods used by governments and experts in different countries, He also manages large disputes portfolio resulting from the rise of financial fraud including forex and binary options claims
- Acted as the lead advocate in mediation proceedings representing seven clients based outside of England and Wales (Italy, Austria and Curacao) in a hotly contested commercial dispute against a Dutch investment fund (represented by Wiggins LLP) in connection with alleged breaches of warranties and tax indemnities in a SPA related to the sale of a Maltese gaming company. The value of the claim is approximately £98 million and the counterclaim of approximately £35 million.
Represented, in conjunction with Richard Slade QC of 3 Brick Court, a UK construction company in a cross border commercial dispute involving an Italian and a Swiss Company in connection with a joint venture agreement
- Acted for the CEO of a multinational organisation in conjunction with Sharif A Shivi QC and Edward Crossley of 4 Stone Building in a cross-border English/Dutch and Danish financial services and banking dispute valued in excess of £4m
- Acted, in conjunction with Daniel Lewis of 3 Hare Court, for a UK multinational in a commercial dispute in excess of £2.8M before the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Instructed in Gabriele’s capacity as Italian lawyer, in conjunction with Stewart Leech QC of Queen Elizabeth Building, before Lord Baker at the High Court of Justice in a reported crossborder family dispute involving significant assets in both jurisdictions.
- Gabriele is currently representing an Italian Telecoms company in a €48 million breach of contract dispute against a UK multinational. The claim is shortly be issued at the Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court of Justice. The complex dispute currently being litigated both in Italy (Court of Milan) where Gabriele is the lead counsel and, in the UK, where Gabriele has been retained in conjunction with Daniel Lewis of 3 Hare Court.
- Worked in conjunction with Zoe O'Sullivan QC of One Essex Court in connection with a proposed group litigation order (GLO) involving over 3,000 claimants across the world against an FCA regulated Plc. Value of the claim in excess of $30 million.
- Acting for an HNWI individual from Saudi, who is engulfed in a long-standing dispute against a former Iranian business partner (represented by Allen & Overy), where complex issues of competing jurisdictions have arisen, soon to be determined by the High Court. Value of the dispute is in excess of £800 million and my client has also instructed John Machell QC of Serle Court.
- Acted for a Canadian husband against an Italian wife (resident in London) in conjunction with Julie O’Malley of Lamb Building before Mrs. Justice Parker at the High Court of Justice in a significant cross border family dispute involving the application of the MFPA 1984 in circumstances where the divorce proceedings have commenced abroad.
- Assisted an Italian, LGBT client with an employment claim for unfair dismissal, in conjunction with Tim Adkin of 42 Bedford Row, in a whistleblowing and sexual orientation discrimination matter against a well known global organisation, before the Central London Employment Tribunal. The dispute settled at a judicial mediation before the final hearing resulting in a six-figure award for damages.
- Assisted a director of an electrical company in conjunction with Samantha Kane of Holland Park Chambers in connection with a derivative claim and an unfair prejudice claim before the High Court of Justice. Parties have now agreed to refer the dispute to the LCIA.
- I routinely assist clients at mediation hearings in the UK, often on behalf of European clients, and my most recent cases have been before Michel Kallipetis QC, Bill Marsh QC and Phillip Howell- Richardson at Independent Mediators.
Gabriele's expertise extends in more than one direction; he advises private and commercial clients on issues of complex cross-border litigation and represents claimants and defendants in all jurisdictions on civil and commercial matters. He regularly appears at mediation and arbitration hearings, both in Italy and overseas.
Gabriele is a highly regarded Forex and binary options litigation expert and has been involved in the management of multifaceted claims in various jurisdictions for some time. He has been published in the financial media on the management of complex cross-border and multi-national Forex claims.
Gabriele has expertise in the hospitality industry, advising hotel chains on acquisitions, mergers and disposals. He has assisted in a number of cross-border transactions involving Europe and the Middle East.
In the News
Gabriele has been invited to speak at international conferences, particularly in Italy. He regularly provides commentary to the world's media, including Sky News in connection with the firm’s Grenfell Tower client, BBC Rip-off Britain and Channel 4, as an authoritative Italian lawyer. As well as the Times of Israel and Finance Magnates. [follow Gabriele's live commentary on Sky News in relation to the Amanda Knox murder trial]
Articles and Publications
Content coming soon...