Education: Master of Laws (LL.M.) in International Business Transactions and Trade Law,
Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington DC (USA)
Degree in Law, at University “Federico II” of Napoli (IT)
Paris-Lodron Universität of Salzburg (A)
Admitted: 2005 Italy - 2011 England & Wales
Year Joined: 2019
Languages: Italian - English - German
Vincenzo Senatore is a partner based alternately in both the London and Naples office.
He is dually qualified Italian Avvocato (with Higher Rights of Audience) and English Solicitor and also qualified to plead before the International Criminal Court in The Hague.
Before moving to London, Vincenzo worked in junior positions at Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, Bryan Cave LLP.
Vincenzo has several years of post-qualification experience in Civil and Common law. Vincenzo has broad experience of UK and international cross-border transactions across a variety of industry sectors as well as international corporate and criminal law. Vincenzo is a formidable litigator with a demonstrable history of bringing successful transactions to successful conclusions, providing legal support to partners and delivering strategic advice to diverse clientele.
After completing his studies as Erasmus student at the Paris-Lodron Universität of Salzburg (A), Vincenzo graduated at the University of Naples “Federico II” (IT) and moved to the USA to gain his Master of Laws (LLM) in International Business Transactions and Trade Law at the Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington DC.
Vincenzo has worked in the USA where, during his fellowship at the prestigious Stanford Center for Biomedical and Ethics (Stanford University), specialised in intellectual property related to human embryonic stem cells. His research was published in the prestigious peer reviewed scientific journal Nature Biotech. During that time, he passed the first test (MPRE) to become a California attorney and also became Notary Public for the State of California.
Vincenzo’s professional activities have encompassed, amongst others, being on the scientific organizer committee for the Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats for conferences on Anglo-American Law and as speaker in webinars, lectures and conferences organised by the British Chamber of Commerce (IT), CUA, Columbus School of Law, Washington DC (USA), Lockey Stem Cells Building Research, Stanford University (USA), SKKU School of Business (Republic of Korea), and the Naples Bar Associations, as expert in Civil and Common law arena.
Vincenzo has been recently appointed to the CUA, Columbus School of Law’s Alumni Council, Washington, DC. The prestigious Alumni Council forms the governing body of Catholic Law Alumni Association, formed in 2013 to endorse and advance the values, objectives, and well-being of The Catholic University of America and Columbus School of Law. He is also member of the International Criminal Court Bar Association, the Law Society of England and Wales, the Naples Bar Association, and of the International Academy of Financial Consumers (Korea) where he is also editorial member.
- Acted for a UK financial service PLC entity before the High Court of Justice Business and Property Courts of England and Wales (QBD) in a $ 2.1 million demand guarantees claim.
- Acted as advocate in mediation proceedings representing seven clients based outside of England and Wales (Italy, Austria and Curacao) in a hotly contested commercial dispute against a Dutch investment fund in connection with alleged breaches of warranties and tax indemnities in a SPA related to the sale of a Maltese gaming company. The value of the claim is approximately £98 million and the counterclaim of approximately £35 million.
- Represented, in conjunction with Richard Slade QC of 3 Brick Court, a UK construction company in a cross-border commercial dispute involving an Italian and a Swiss Company in connection with a joint venture agreement.
- Advising the national Polish Bank against an American multinational investment bank and financial services company headquartered in New York City in connection with a swap spread contract dispute.
- Assisting before the Como Court (IT) the family of a decorated Royal Air Force hero who died – in suspicious circumstances – while taking part in a charity event in Italy (client's case came to the attention of the BBC documentary programme Outside Out and was reported on by television journalist Simon Hare).
- Acted, in conjunction with Helen Brander of Pump Court Chambers (London), in a cross-border family dispute before the Institute of Family Law Arbitrators of London, in a cross border divorce involving significant assets in different jurisdictions.
- Acted, in conjunction with Daniel Lewis of 3 Hare Court (London), for a UK multinational in a commercial dispute in excess of £2.8M before the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA).
- Representing an Italian Telecoms company in a €48 million breach of contract dispute against a UK multinational organisation. The claim has been litigated before the Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court of Justice.
- Acting for an HNWI individual from Saudi, who is engulfed in a long-standing dispute against a former Iranian business partner, where complex issues of competing jurisdictions have arisen, soon to be determined by the High Court. Value of the dispute is in excess of £800 million.
- Acted in conjunction with the Italian team to provide a comprehensive service to the trustees appointed by the Manchester court following a bankruptcy procedure. Both team have provided a legal and strategic advice on how to recognise the UK insolvency procedure in Italy under Regulation (EU) 2015/848 of the European Parliament and of the Council, and filing a temporary restraining order on the properties of the bankrupted in Italy.
- Advising a leading Australian Rugby player in relation to cross border tax claims between UK and IT.
Vincenzo advises clients in a broad range of matters including national and international businesses, focussing on complex cross-border issues, assisting in contentious commercial issues involving share price disputes, breaches of contract and merger and acquisition disputes.
Vincenzo is well-regarded for his astute analysis of complex situations and his agile ability to navigate the intricacies involved in cross-border disputes. He recognises that alternative dispute resolution (conciliation, mediation and arbitration) are often more suited to the best interests of the client. Where litigation is undertaken, Vincenzo is focused and rigorous in his pursuit of a successful outcome for our clients.
Vincenzo also has extensive experience in cross-border criminal cases from matters involving breaches of the peace to assisting and advising on suspicious deaths abroad.
In the News
He is also the author of many publications on prestigious international peer-review and he has published as first author on the world’s leading multidisciplinary science journal Nature Biotech. Vincenzo is in demand as a speaker at seminars and conferences, one of which can be viewed here
Vincenzo also was invited to take part in a BBC documentary, Inside Out, investigating the sudden death of a British citizen (former RAF pilot) who died in mysterious circumstances at the Lake of Como, the family of whom Vincenzo assisted in their attempt to establish the circumstances of their relative’s sudden death.
Articles and Publications
- Financial Consumers and Applicable Remedies: A European and Italian Framework. Publication date Jun 23, 2018 - Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2018 In Chen TJ. (eds) An International Comparison of Financial Consumer Protection
- Financial Consumers and Applicable Provisions: A European and Italian Perspective. Publication date Apr 30, 2017 - International Review of Financial Consumers (Volume 2 (1)
- Commuting Accidents and Workers’ Compensation in Italy and in China - Policy Implications for Korea. Publication date: Dec 12, 2015 - Korean Social Security Studies, published by the Korean Social Security Association
- Patenting parthenotes in the US and Europe: The real nature of a parthenote determines its ultimate value. Publication date: Dec 9, 2015 - Nature Biotechnology
- Europe's Landmark Decisions on Stem Cells: For Inventors, Hope or Mere Illusions? A Guide for Overseas Inventors, Entrepreneurs, and IP Professionals. Publication date: July 15, 2015 - American Intellectual Property Law Association Quarterly Journal 43-2 (The George Washington University Law School)
- Policy Design to introduce the commuting claims into statutory workers compensation in Korea. Publication date: January 28, 2015 - Korean Ministry of Employment and Labor
Vincenzo was invited to write an article for the International Bar Association in connection with the disclosure by arbitrators and circumstances which may give rise to justifiable doubts as to their impartiality, including, the consequences of failing to make such disclosure. These issues arise squarely in Halliburton Company v Chubb Bermuda Insurance Ltd.