How has Brexit impacted British nationals' attitudes towards going on holiday to an EU country?

The British public’s opinions towards Brexit and its impact on aspects such as travel and the economy have proven to be a constant debate. While many are in agreement with the UK’s exit from the European Union, many potential consequences of the withdrawal agreement have also come to light. The Office for Budget Responsibility estimates that the long-term economic impact of Brexit on the UK will be more than twice that of the coronavirus pandemic. But what about the impact on British nationals and how they feel about going abroad to EU countries? Has Brexit changed people's minds about going on holiday to an EU country, and what are peoples’ key concerns when it comes to going abroad post-Brexit?

Here, we will explore the British public’s attitudes towards going abroad to an EU country post-Brexit, and British nationals’ key concerns when it comes to going on holiday to an EU country. We also discuss the benefits of working with a multilingual law firm if you require legal advice.

What are British peoples’ attitudes towards going on holiday to an EU country, and have attitudes changed since Brexit?

Italy and Spain are among the most popular holiday destinations chosen by British nationals, with many Britons still flocking abroad every summer to enjoy the pleasant climate, sunny beaches and picturesque views. However, 50% of British nationals admit that Brexit has prevented them from going on holiday abroad in the EU, according to a recent survey conducted by Giambrone & Partners.

“Has Brexit impacted your decision to go on holiday to an EU country?”

Infographic: Has Brexit influenced your holiday plans in the EU?

What are peoples’ main concerns when it comes to going on holiday in the EU?

Interestingly, over 80% of respondents in the survey conducted by Giambrone & Partners claimed they worry about the impact of Brexit in terms of what documents they will need to prepare for going abroad.

“Are you worried about the impact of Brexit in terms of what documents you will need to prepare for going abroad?”

Discover essential travel documents amidst Brexit worries with this infographic.

Worries around obtaining required documents for going on holiday in the EU also proved to be British nationals’ biggest concern when it comes to going on holiday:

“What is your biggest concern when going abroad to an EU country?”

Infographic: Biggest concern when traveling to EU.

This factor was closely followed by worries about losing an important document abroad and potentially expensive travel abroad.

Majorca's Camp De Mar: A top pick for British travelers.

Concerns around our rights abroad also seems to be a huge worry amongst many British nationals, with over 80% of our respondents admitting that they worry about their rights abroad in an EU country as a British citizen:

“Are you concerned about your rights as a non-EU citizen abroad in an EU country?”

Infographic: Non-EU citizen rights in EU

What changes have had an impact on British nationals going to an EU country?

One major change post-Brexit is that some countries may now check whether you have enough money to spend during the course of your stay, which can lead to a potential dispute. For example, British tourists visiting Spain may be required to prove that they have money totalling at least £85 for every day of their holiday due to Brexit. Changes to the rules have been made as the UK is now no longer a member of the EU and, therefore, is now classed as a “third country”.

The UK Foreign Office has announced a statement informing Britons that in Spanish border control, you may need to show a return or onward ticket; show you have enough money for your stay. You may also need to show proof of accommodation for your stay, for example, a hotel booking confirmation, proof of address if visiting your own property abroad. If you are staying with a third party, friends or family, you may also need to provide an invitation from your host or proof of their address.

Since Brexit, British citizens travelling to EU countries will be required to have their passports stamped at border gates when entering and leaving an EU country. Additionally, Britons may now only spend 90 days or fewer per 180 days in Schengen countries without the possession of a visa or travel permit.

Passports must also have at least six months left before they expire, or British passport holders may be prevented from travelling to any EU countries. Finally, you will also require a green card if you are bringing your own car abroad to prove you have car insurance cover when driving abroad.

Have you got into a car accident abroad? Read our guide on your options if you get into a road accident abroad.

How can you prepare for going abroad to an EU country in 2022?

Check your passport

It is important to check your passport before travelling and double-check the expiry date to ensure you have at least six months left before it expires. This step is vital in order to prevent you from being turned away from travelling.

Are you bringing your own car abroad? You’ll need to get hold of a green card

If you are bringing your own car abroad, your driving licence is still valid – however, you’ll now need a ‘green card’ (proving you have car insurance cover when driving abroad) and a GB sticker.

Prepare for changes at border control

At border control, you should prepare to use separate lanes from EU citizens when queuing. Officials may also ask more questions at border control than pre-Brexit. A British person travelling to the EU, you should also prepare for some countries asking you to prove that you have enough money for the length of your initial stay.

Ensure you have a visa if you are staying in an EU country for 90 days or more

If you’re a tourist, you will be able to stay for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period without having a visa. To stay for longer than 90 days, you will have to get a visa or travel permit.

If you’re unsure about how much longer you stay abroad in an EU country, the EU has set up this short-term stay visa calculator to help non-EU travellers calculate how much longer they are able to stay in an EU country.

If you are worried about your rights abroad as a British national or require legal assistance abroad, we recommend contacting a multilingual cross-border law firm for assistance.

Why should you use a multilingual law firm if you need legal assistance abroad?

Every summer, stories of bad behaviour from British nationals - usually linked to drinking, brawling and general licentious antics -- abound. However, other popular reasons for needing assistance abroad include losing important documents such as passports, drug arrests, overstaying abroad without a visa, and being unaware of the laws abroad around antisocial behaviour.

Regardless of the cause behind your cross-border dispute, the most important step to take is to contact an experienced cross-border lawyer who speaks your language. A multilingual law firm, such as Giambrone & Partners, will have a good understanding of the laws in each country and will ensure communication is smooth throughout. You will also be provided with expert advice from the beginning.

Giambrone & Partners’ cross-border dispute resolution and criminal lawyers have a well-deserved track record in assisting British citizens abroad in European countries such as Italy, Spain and Portugal. Our lawyers have assisted in several matters where their defence arguments have resulted in the avoidance of custodial sentences. We will provide invaluable guidance, advising you on the best options for going forward while working with your best interests in mind.

Contact us today for expert legal assistance.

Why work with a multilingual law firm for overseas aid?

Related content

What to do if you get into an accident abroad in Europe

Claiming compensation for a road traffic accident in an EU country